Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Victory Waits on Your Fingers/ English Assign#1


After reading chapter 2 I was assigned to pick a poster and describe the meaning of the visuals in the poster. The poster I chose from the Gallery of WWII poster art is "Victory Waits on Your Fingers". The poster comes from part 1 under the "It's a Woman's War Too" link.
When I look at the picture I am immediately drawn to the patriotic colors. All the red, white, and blue make me think of America, my country.Imagining that I live in the time this poster was put up I become the audience, which is a woman living in America during WWII. I am then drawn to the woman in the picture and the placement of her hand which is a military salute. So I know that this picture has something to do with women in the U.S. Military just by observing the colors and the position of the image (Miss U.S.A.).
After looking at the colors and the woman in the poster I am then drawn to the text. The style of the text is bold black and red letters which makes what it's saying important. The arrangement of the text is excellent, it cuts to the chase in the first line and encourages you in the second line. It doesn't scare you into action but pursuades you. The text then delivers the information you would need should you want to take further action because of the poster.
This poster was an advertisment for women to work as a type writer in the U.S. Military while the troops were at war. It shows a woman working at a type writer performing her duty to her country without getting her hands dirty. After observing the poster I (the audience, assuming that I lived at the time of distribution) would remember her smile and the simplicity of her job. I would be able to do that and do something great for my country. The poster is arranged well and the style of the text and photo is very memorable.

3 comments:

  1. oh girl! good poster choice! i really enjoy seeing all of the old war posters and your description was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marissa-
    This is a lovely interpretation. I love this poster. Your discussion of color is so interesting here - color to signify (patriotism, the USA) and also to grab attention.
    I always wonder how the message would change if the woman looked differently. For example, would it matter if she was a brunette? What is she were older or not so model thin? She is interesting as a symbol herself - not just as someone to identify with but a signifier for innocence and joy and a certain standard of Americanized beauty.
    Good discussion-
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, do you think you could be persuaded to getting a war job because of this poster? What attracts you the most. Does having Miss USA on the poster make the poster more attractive or would the poster have been just as attractive with Miss Congeniality?

    ReplyDelete